There are lots of reasons for changing a host like good control and excess, new tech and features, better interface, bandwidth usage improvement high security and the main reason for changing your host company is (website downtime), if you don’t know “what is website downtime” so when your website or web service is not available online and does not function correctly for users to complete the tasks, this is considered to be website downtime experience. And a constant website downtime relates to loss of customer and profits, moreover, it is related to your company reputation.
Some hosting companies do this transfer work for you if you are you are not able to do this by yourself but it is not a that complicated process that can`t be done easily, you just have to do steps in the right order and If you are facing the same problem like this so this blog post helps you with the migration process.
This blog post explains to you “how to transfer web hosting from one company to another” there are some steps for making this work easy for you.
Steps for migrating a site from one host to another
- Select a new web host: The first step is the select a new host for your website, take your time before selecting a new web host and do research about your doubts and needs, check their online reviews and customer feedback before buying a new one check Web Hosting deals available with hosting providers and compare them according to your budget and features.
- After getting a new provider: Examine that, at some point in the future, you also can change or switch from that hosting service as well. So that’s why you should register your domain with a third-party provider, so whenever you switch your web hosts your domain get not be affected.
- Creating backup files of the website: The second step is to take the backup of all your database and website from an old host server of yours. This step is the same as taking your all old products from your old shop so that they can get a place in your new shop.
Just download all the files on your computer and place them in a safe folder to take a backup of your files and data by using any basic FTP applications like smart FTP, FileZilla, Html files, and others.
- Export your website database: If your website uses an extra database for storing visitor data and managing forms purpose then you should get them and export them, it is best to with your old host for exporting this additional data because most of the hosts offer “phpMyAdmin” as a tool to deal with an exporting and an importing of data.
If you are an operator of a channel then exporting your data is not a hard or confusing task for you, just use the phpMyAdmin tool which is a part of every panel, if you don’t understand everything then still you are able to do this by yourself.
- Upload your website and import database: like exporting, now you have to work with your new host to import your database with SQL, like “phpMyAdmin” now you can use MySQL tool to impost your database easily to your new hosting account.
Some ways to do this process in a fast way:
- By Bluehost file manager
- Upload via FTP
- Dynamic website
- Website test on the new server: After transferring all the files and database, you can test your website; use a temporary URL to test your website effectively, login to your account panel, click on “account technical details” after this you can see an option namely “TEMP URL” attached to your temporary URL attached to it. Now just visit your URL and test your website.
- DNS change: It is a minor point that can be easily get ignored by anyone, after the transfer of files you should switch your DNS record with the new server where your site is now registered. The reason why it is important because it is like a map or navigation to your visitors or users that they arrive on the right page.
- Add E-mail to the new server: Before switching the DNS you must add your E-mail with a new server to get your E-mail account with your website on a new server.
Use your temporary login information provided by your new host to login into your account and now set your E-mail account there that existed on your previous server